Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Casual Chat Week 1: 2019-03-15
Hey everyone. There’s not a lot of activity happening on the forum right now, and part of the problem may be that making a thread to start off a discussion is pretty hard when you just want to talk about something you’re thinking about. So here’s a place to talk about whatever’s on your mind, we’ll have a new thread for this once a week on Friday. Who knows, maybe we’ll get some new discussion threads out of it. Have fun!
[Image: Anvil.png]THIS COMMENT PROUDLY FORGED BY LOADED ANVILS[Image: Anvil.png]
We've got thirty members, its time for people to start posting, lol.
Might as well post something here myself. My goal is to post something I learned each day so that I feel I'm doing something with my life.

Found out this week that while the Cytoscape project seems really cool, its JavaScript visualization library is kind of meh and doesn't really compare to D3. I've been working on a dashboard for a few months now and starting to get a bit tired of it, truth be told.

Also have the GRE Math Subject Test coming up at the start of April, which I recently registered for. It's only offered three times a year and I have to take it now if I want to apply for grad school this summer. Honestly, the pressure of having to choose makes me want to put it off even though I shouldn't.

I'm fighting an uphill battle trying to plan out all the things I have to do. It'll either end in finally mastering this art, or abandoning that goal and being fine with it.

Edit: A lot of the new members seem to be bots or just plain inactive if you look at their profiles.
[Image: Anvil.png]THIS COMMENT PROUDLY FORGED BY LOADED ANVILS[Image: Anvil.png]
That is what it kind of looks like. Bash thought some of the random named ones might be crypto guys.

I havn't gotten into javascript yet. Really, trying to avoid it, for some reason, web development doesn't really interest me. I have an attraction to stuff that is a little more closer to hardware. Hopfully when I am done with my degree, I can land in some form of OS development or embedded.

Good luck on the GRE for Math, let me know how that goes. One day I would like to get a graduates degree. Right now I am working my way through calculus I. So far it isn't so bad except for a small number of things that throw me off and working with trig functions when taking limits and derivatives.
(03-16-2019, 11:07 AM)Todd Wrote: I havn't gotten into javascript yet. Really, trying to avoid it, for some reason, web development doesn't really interest me. I have an attraction to stuff that is a little more closer to hardware. Hopfully when I am done with my degree, I can land in some form of OS development or embedded.

I don't blame you, I'm kind of the same way. Web development is a bit of a rabbit hole. When I got the project at work I was relieved, because it was something that I thought was not going to be too difficult since everything in web dev has already been "figured out" and done before. But it's still a lot of work that requires me to bang my head against the wall until I get it.

After this I might have to get back into some of my old side projects. The startup cost for those is daunting though, so it'll be hard for me to decide what I want to do.

My Logitech MX Anywhere 2S seems to have broken: slightly touching the scroll wheel on the left side makes it scroll right, as opposed to the other side where I actually have to push the button. It might be easier to just disable horizontal scrolling altogether with the mouse, but this puts me at a disadvantage.