Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introductions
Loadedanvils suggested that an introductions thread be made. I'll start.

I am Max (bash as many of you call me). I am a free and open source software enthusiast, devoted mathematics and economics student, and political operative. I have a passion for learning new things and have been self taught for the last few years. It hasn't been easy, but its been immensely gratifying. I look forward to talking with anyone who isn't a regular on the mumble and engaging in some stimulating conversation. Don't hesitate to question or push back on my posts!
[Image: k0FcEdK.png]
Hello all,

I am f00B34rd (foo beard). I am a Software Programmer with a passion for computers and electronics. Recently started getting more into building mechanical keyboards, 3d printing, and playing with raspberry pi's.
Hey all,

I am a software engineering student, father of two, and currently work in chemical manufacturing/development. I enjoy listening to podcasts, reading, learning, programming, and more.
Hey, I'm loadedanvils. I wanted to write a joke post here, but after writing a few paragraphs and not being impressed, I decided to go for a more standard introduction. Here are some of the things I'm interested in.

Math: Although it has been a while since I sat down and read through a math text or paper, I'm still very much into it. In particular, I'm interested in Abstract Algebra, Time Series Analysis, Probabilistic Graphical Models, and Theory of Optimization (to name a few). My backlog for things I want to learn just keeps getting bigger, and I'm always happy to post in a math thread. I have my BS in math and am pursuing my Master's next year. Maybe a PhD after that? Who knows!

Technology: I've been a Linux user for a while and can program in a few languages, like C, C++, Java, Python, and JS. I work as a software engineer and can probably help you out if you're stuck on programming / networking / configuration / whatever. I hope to make some posts about the things I learned while on the job or just random things I think are cool. I try to keep myself informed on new things in the industry by reading Hacker News and other sites. Like my math backlog, I also have a huge stack of projects that I want to do, so if you're curious, feel free to ask me about that!

Philosophy: I'm happy to talk about philosophy, and I'm particularly interested in Stoic philosophy (from the works of Seneca, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, and quite a few others). Here are some of the podcasts I listen to that I can recommend (some are on hiatus at the moment):

Good Fortune (hosted by Matt van Natta): This is a good podcast to start listening to if you're new to Stoicism. There are just a few episodes so you can listen through all of them fairly quickly. The host gives bite-sized lessons in a question-and-answer format, and is overall pleasant to listen to.

Stoicism on Fire (hosted by Chris Fisher): A podcast that goes deep into the history and lessons of traditional Stoicism. This podcast in particular made me think really hard about how to reconcile my non-religious perspective with the role of God / nature in Stoic practice. The host gives a convincing argument against forcing Stoicism to be secular, which he backs up with a lot of good reading material. Keep in mind that the host is opinionated on how you should practice Stoicism and does criticize modern Stoicism (for lacking the spiritual element that the early practitioners had). This shouldn't be a problem for us here though, right?

History of Philosophy without any gaps (hosted by Peter Adamson): This is not strictly a Stoic podcast but it does give context for the ancient Stoics, as well as other philosophical groups like the Cynics, Epicureans, and Skeptics. I've just started listening to this podcast but it is definitely holding my interest.

Music / Art / Books / Movies / Video Games: I like a lot of music, but my favorites are metal / hard rock (think Metallica, Disturbed, Black Sabbath) and electronic / techno (The Prodigy, Justice, The Crystal Method). I'm also a big fan of retrowave (Danger Mode is a good example). I like a good rhythm, sick beats, and angsty themes. One of my favorite pastimes is going to concerts and thrashing as hard as I can.

My favorite artist is HR Giger, famous for designing the xenomorph from Alien, and is my current avatar on this forum. He has a really surrealist metallic style to his art that really inspires me. It features a lot of mechanized genitalia, creepy biomechanical monsters, and gray landscapes.  It's no surprise to me that his art was featured on the cover of the Cthulhu Times.

I read a lot of nonfiction books. Some of my favorites are: microserfs by Douglas Coupland (a very funny book about engineers working for early Microsoft), The Accidental Mind by David J. Linden (a book that describes how the human brain formed and some of the things we've learned about neuroscience), and Thinking in Systems by Donella Matthews (which teaches you how to identify systems and feedback loops and has made me keenly aware of them since).

I like horror movies, sci-fi, and comedies that know exactly how stupid they're planning to be. Some of my favorites are Alien, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, Blade Runner, Spaceballs, and Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

I hope to get back into playing video games more often. I play StarCraft (the campaign) in my free time, and played New Vegas recently. After I get my computer set up, I hope to join some of you in multiplayer action as well.

Politics: (The section I'm sure everyone wants to know about /s). I'll be honest with you all. I'm more or less a stupid newbie clean slate when it comes to politics. Politics really went over my head when I was a young teen and just kept getting more hostile as time went on. In most of these discussions, I'll probably be the listener. I'm not a person who generally writes people off due to their ideology, but at the same time, I'm keenly aware of when people try to mislead or argue in bad faith.
  • With regards to personal freedom, I think you should be able to do whatever you want provided you're not hurting the freedom of anyone else. This does get murky when money gets involved because accumulation of wealth does support the rich-get-richer feedback loop, and since resources are limited, this makes everyone else worse off.
  • About freedom of speech in particular: I am a big proponent of people being able to express their opinions, even if they are unpopular. That being said, it is clear to me that there are those who want to use free speech as an excuse to spread hate and abuse. As a result, they themselves are enemies of free speech. It should be pretty clear to everyone that the things you say have consequences, extending beyond those enforceable by the government. In a world where people make big bucks by making a statement and leveraging their social influence, all speech is absolutely not equal in value, and thus, cannot truly be free. Since we are susceptible to social influence, our acceptance of free speech is contingent on our respect for our fellow human beings. Those who seek to pit people against each other are in fact, weakening our freedom to express ourselves, and it is in our interest not to support this behavior.
Well, that's it! This paints a pretty good picture of who I am, feel free to talk to me whenever!
[Image: Anvil.png]THIS COMMENT PROUDLY FORGED BY LOADED ANVILS[Image: Anvil.png]
"Ollow" (Mega-mind: Movie reference) and I am David/Stormtrooper. I was linked this forum by bash and happen to know him personally.
 I am an enthusiastic Engineer that's interested in the automated and robotic side of industry. although my understanding with programing languages is limited, I pride myself with my manipulation of materials and bringing ideas into reality.

I hope to add an interesting facet to this forum.
HENLO

I am also Max, aka fkinglag. This forum is a place where I intend to participate and engage with discussion or community. The cryptocurrency forum is where I implore anybody to take a look at and/or post a thread. I am an enthusiast of Bitcoin/blockchain/cryptocurrency. Feel free to get on the mumble or in touch and we can talk about it, too. Other than those things I am all about lots of art, computer hardware/software engineering, bicycling, cooking, computer games, free open source software and music among other things.
(03-01-2019, 02:34 AM)fkinglag Wrote: HENLO

I am also Max, aka fkinglag. This forum is a place where I intend to participate and engage with discussion or community. The cryptocurrency forum is where I implore anybody to take a look at and/or post a thread. I am an enthusiast of Bitcoin/blockchain/cryptocurrency. Feel free to get on the mumble or in touch and we can talk about it, too. Other than those things I am all about lots of art, computer hardware/software engineering, bicycling, cooking, computer games, free open source software and music among other things.

As someone who isn't all that familiar with blockchain technology and have no clue where to start kind of learning some of the nitty gritty details, I look forward to reading your posts.
Hi, I'm whiteph and I do physics and death metal, sometimes simultaneously.